At the start of this year, I had never in my life tasted soda bread and I had certainly never in my life made my own bread at home.
Welp, now it’s April 2020 and I can officially check both off my bucket list.
- 5 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of iodized salt
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- ½ cup of unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon of granulated sugar
- A Whole Lot Of Apple Butter
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Mix 4 cups of the flour, the baking soda, the baking powder, the salt, and the sugar all together in a large mixing bowl. (Yep, we left out 1 cup of flour, but just hold on tight to it, it’ll have its time to shine.)
- Add the buttermilk and butter to your mixture of dry ingredients from Step Two and mix all ingredients together. (Except for that 1 cup of flour!)
- Ensure all items are well mixed. Your dough may be slightly sticky, so feel free to use some of that 1 cup of remaining flour to help manage the dough.
- Tear off about 10-12 baseball-sized dough balls and place them onto a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Use the remaining flour to dust each dough ball before placing the tray into the oven.
- Cook for 12-14 minutes.
- Smother with apple butter and enjoy!