During my most recent Virtual Girls’ Night Happy Hour (can someone please go back in time and tell past-me this will become a common phrase in 2020?), we all sighed collectively reminiscing about our favorite parks memories and dreaming of what we’ll plan for our triumphant return. At the top of the list? A stay at Loews Sapphire Falls Resort at Universal Orlando.
There is a lot to love and appreciate about this hotel, but I personally can’t say enough good things about Strong Water Tavern. Educational and delicious rum tastings led by a pro, yummy tapa-style bites, incredible view and ambience, …heck, even the bar nuts are on another level. Until we can all be there together, I invite you to join me in whipping up one of Strong Water Tavern’s signature drinks, The Grog.
- 2 oz. aged rum
- 1 ½ oz. demerara sugar simple syrup and allspice dram (recipe below and for it you’ll need…)
- 1 cup of demerara sugar
- 1 cup of warm water
- 2 tbsp. of allspice berries
- 1 cup of aged rum
- ½ oz. lime juice
- ½ oz. lemon juice
- 1 lime wedge
- 1 orange
- 1 cinnamon stick
DEMERARA SUGAR SIMPLE SYRUP AND ALLSPICE DRAM DIRECTIONS:
- Dissolve 1 cup of demerara sugar in 1 cup of warm water.
- Place over medium heat and bring to a simmer.
- Add 2 tbsp. of allspice berries and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and strain the syrup through a sieve.
- Add 1 cup of aged rum.
- Cool and hold at room temperature for up to one week.
THE GROG DIRECTIONS:
- In a mix tin, muddle the lime wedge and one wedge of the orange together.
- Add in the rum, the demerara sugar simple syrup and allspice dram, lime juice, and lemon juice.
- Cover with ice and shake vigorously.
- Strain into an old fashioned glass filled with ice. Garnish with an orange wheel and cinnamon stick.
Enjoy this taste of Universal at Home and send us your Virtual Happy Hour creations on Twitter @UniversalORL and Instagram @UniversalOrlando.
*Must be 21 years and older with valid identification to purchase or drink alcoholic beverages.