Hello, or as they say over at Universal Volcano Bay, kia ora!
It’s a beautiful day out; the sun is shining, the palm trees are swaying, and the water is cool. Or, at least I imagine it is over at Volcano Bay where I wish I could be lounging out on Waturi Beach with a cold drink in hand. I think we could all use a dose of those island-time vibes. While I can’t deliver Waturi Beach to your backyard, I can give you the recipe for some yummy food to make at home with one of my personal favs, the Island Chicken Salad.
First, you start with the coconut dressing the chicken salad is tossed in.
Yields: 1 1/2 cups
- 1 can of Coco Lopez (coconut cream/pineapple juice mix found in most grocery stores)
- 1 cup of mayonnaise
- Couple of pinches of ground ginger
- Place one cup of mayonnaise in a mixing bowl.
- Season with a couple of pinches of ground ginger and salt and pepper.
- While mixing slowly with a whisk, begin adding 3/4 cup of Coco Lopez until all is blended and creamy.
- Place into refrigerator and hold for use.
Island Chicken Salad Recipe
Serves: 1 serving of Island Chicken Salad
- 1 grilled chicken breast
- 1/2 Granny Smith apple (cut into large dices)
- 6 red grapes (cut in half)
- 4 leaves bibb lettuce
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut, toasted
- 2 tablespoons toasted almonds
- 1/4 cup coconut dressing
- Preheat oven to 350℉.
- Season chicken breast with salt and pepper and a tiny bit of oil. Place onto a hot griddle or frying pan.
- Cook evenly on both sides until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Remove from grill/pan and set aside to rest.
- Place coconut and almonds onto a baking pan with parchment paper and bake for 6 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Place grapes onto a cutting board and slice them into halves.
- Chop apple into large dices, making sure to avoid the core.
- Place chicken breast onto cutting board and cut into large dices.
- In a mixing bowl, lightly toss all ingredients with the coconut dressing (keep some almond and coconut to the side for garnish.)
- Place four leaves of lettuce into a large bowl to act as the holder for the salad. Top with the chicken salad.
- Garnish with remaining toasted coconut and almonds. ENJOY!