When traveling with a big family, sometimes the cramped quarters of a hotel room can become a space that parents long to escape from.
Well, recently on a special family stay at Universal’s Cabana Bay Resort, we enjoyed our favorite room of all time—the poolside family suite. It gave much needed “life,” and space, to our family vacation. You always hear about the great theme park benefits of staying on-site, like Early Park Admission. But the extra room of the family suites is worth a story all its own.
We’d been to Cabana Bay before as a family of four, but now we are a family of five—and were eager to try the suite out with the entire crew. Not only did we all have the space we needed, we actually enjoyed our time in the hotel room together.
Let me count the ways we loved the family suite.
1. Separation of Space: Not only is there separation between the bedrooms and a living space with a sliding door, but the bathroom has three separate spaces—a separate sink area in the middle, a private water closet area to the right, and private shower and sink to the left. So there is little fighting for space in the morning, and we can all have our own space—something everyone was so happy to have.
2. A Mini-Kitchen: In each family suite there’s a mini-fridge, perfect for storing your family’s favorite snacks and drinks (and leftovers!), as well as shelves for storage of dry snacks. There is also serving ware, a coffee maker, a microwave, and a full-sized sink. You can bring in your own snacks or food, or store items bought from the Bayliner Diner, The Hideaway Bar & Grill, Galaxy Bowl, or Delizioso pizza delivery. The bar area with stools that encloses the kitchen area creates a great snacking location for everyone.
3. Three Beds: Each family suite has two queen beds and a pullout couch. You would have thought the heavens opened up and sent her a unicorn when I told my 7-year-old that she did not have to share a bed with her 3-year-old brother. She had her own space, he had his own space. My husband and I had our own bed, and the baby had a rollaway crib at the foot of our bed. Everyone was happy. The End. 🙂
4. Two TVs: No, we’re not on vacation to watch TV. But it’s handy to have, particularly when the little ones need to return to the room for naptime or as we get close to bedtime. Not only could my 3 and 7-year-old watch what they wanted when they wanted, but I could put the baby to sleep in the bedroom area while the older two had their TV time in the living space. My husband could also watch what he wanted at times.
5. Ease of Access to Amazing Amenities: Cabana Bay is a very walk-able and easy to navigate hotel. And the family suites near the Cabana Courtyard are amazing. We could step right from our room to the pool and slide, or just walk a small ways and get to the lobby and amenities including Starbucks, the Bayliner Diner, the arcade, workout room and—the kids’ favorite—the Galaxy Bowl bowling alley. There’s also a shuttle bus to the theme parks and a walking path to Universal CityWalk and both theme parks, making the entire Universal Orlando Resort destination easy to access and enjoy.
And, I must note, the entire hotel is stroller friendly. We had our massive double stroller and were able to get around with ease thanks to wide walkways and elevated ramps.
It’s easy to see that Cabana Bay’s family suites offer just what a family needs. So, make sure to check them out when you’re making plans for your next Universal Orlando vacation.