Confession: I don’t like pie.
Maybe it’s a texture thing, because while I’ll pass on pie, I’m game for a strudel. And yes, there is a difference if you were wondering. A strudel is more like a puff pastry with a very flaky crust. So, when I first tried the apple strudel on a stick in Universal Studios Florida a couple of years ago, it quickly became one of my go-to holiday snacks in the parks. Now you can add this recipe to your list of baked goods to make for your upcoming holiday feast at home.
Apple Strudel on a Stick
Yields 8 portions
- 4 apples – peeled, cored, and chopped
- ½ cup raisins
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ½ cup raspberry jam
- 2 tablespoons dulce de leche
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ (17.5 ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon (or to taste) of white sugar
- ¼ cup of white icing to drizzle over the top
- 8 popsicle sticks (try to find the thicker ones if you can like in the picture above)
- Preheat oven to 400℉ (200°C).
- Combine apples, 3/4 cup sugar, raisins, raspberry jam, dulce de leche, and cinnamon in a large bowl for the filling.
- Dust a flat work surface lightly with flour. Unroll puff pastry and sprinkle lightly with flour.
- Roll out slightly and cut into 8 equal sections, one for each strudel.
- Spoon filling into the central section of each one, then fold over the section on the left and brush with egg. Fold the right section on top, just like when you fold a letter to stuff in an envelope.
- Make shallow diagonal cuts in the top layer of each strudel.
- Brush with egg and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Bake in the preheated oven until apple strudel is puffed up and golden, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Set aside and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- Place popsicle sticks into each strudel, leaving 2 inches out from the bottom.
- Place icing into microwave for 20-30 seconds to loosen it and then drizzle over each strudel for garnish. Feel free to add food coloring to icing to create other festive colors.
- Grab your coziest blanket, snuggle up on the couch with your favorite holiday movie on, and enjoy!